Religious Studies/Philosophy 4110: Medical Ethics
The following Databases are Recommended:
- Religion and Philosophy Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Issues and Controversies (Infobase Learning)
- Research Library (ProQuest)
- Academic OneFile (Gale)
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences
The following Books and eBooks are recommended:
- Encyclopedia of ethics, 3 vols. New York: Routledge, 2001.
Ref BJ63 E45 2001 and [Electronic resource]
- Encyclopedia of Catholic social thought, social science, and social policy 3
vol. Lanham: Scarecrow Press, 2007-2012.
Ref BX1753 E595 2007
- Encyclopedia of science, technology, and ethics, 4 vols. Detroit: Macmillan,
Ref Q175.35 E53 2005
- Encyclopedia of bioethics, 5 vols. New York: Macmillan, 2004.
Ref QH332 E52 2004
- The Penn Center guide to bioethics. New York:
Ref QH332 P46 2009
- Handbook of bioethics terms. Washington D.C.:
Georgetown UP, 2009.
- Handbook of bioethics: taking stock of the field from a philosophical
perspective. Boston: Kluwer, 2004.
Ethics in health services and policy: a global
approach. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2011.
- Human identity and bioethics. New York: CUP, 2005.
BD236 D44 2005
- What’s wrong?: applied ethicists and their critics. New York: OUP, 2005.
BJ1031 B66 2005
- A field guide to good decisions: values in action. Westport: Praeger, 2006.
HD30.23 B462 2006
- Profits before people?: ethical standards and the marketing of prescription
drugs. Bloomington: IUP, 2006.
HD9666.5 W43 2006
- American bioethics: crossing human rights and health law boundaries. New York:
K3240 A56 2005
- Understanding bioethics and the law: the promises
and perils of the brave new world of biotechnology. Westport, CT: Praeger,
- What are stem cells: definitions at the intersection of science and politics.
Tuscaloosa: U of Alabama Press, 2011.
- Sacred cells?: why christians should support stem
cell research. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2008.
QH588 S83 P48 2008
- Embryo politics: ethics and policy in atlantic
democracies. Ithica: Cornell UP, 2011
QM608 B36 2011 and [Electronic resource]
- Bioethics for beginners: 60 cases and cautions from the
moral frontier of healthcare. Malden: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
Worst case bioethics: death, disaster, and public
health. New York: OUP, 2010.
R724 A67 2010
- Taking issue: pluralism and casuistry in bioethics. Washington, D.C.: GUP,
R724 B755 2003
- Practical decision making in health care ethics:
cases and concepts. Washington, D.C.: GUP, 2010
- Against bioethics. Cambridge: MIT, 2006.
R725.5 B25 2006
- Ethics and the business of bioscience. Stanford: SBB, 2004.
- Handbook of bioethics and religion. New York: OUP,
- Bioethics, law, and human life issues. Lanham:
Scarecrow Press, 2010.
R725.56 S26 2010
- Ending life: ethics and the way we die. New York:
R726 B329 2005
- End of life care and pragmatic decision making. New York: Cambridge UP, 2010.
R726.8 H475 2010
Patient autonomy and the ethics of responsibility.
Cambridge: MIT, 2005.
R727.42 T38 2005
Decision-making in nursing: thoughtful approaches for practice. Sudbury: Jones
& Bartlett, 2008.
RT42 D433 2008
Ethical decision making in nursing and health care: the symphonological approach.
New York: Springer, 2008
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
The following Websites are recommended:
- Bioethics.Net (Portal from the publishers of The American Journal of Bioethics)
- Bioethics Forum (Portal on issues in bioethics)
- Ethics Updates (Literature on bioethics, cloning, reproduction)
- Bioethics Resources on the Web (Large number of annotated links from the National Institutes of Health)
- The Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues
Genome Project Information (Numerous links to ethical, legal, social,
and educational material related to researching the identity and
sequence of all human genes sponsored by programs and institutes of the
NIH and DOE)
- The Image Archive on the American Eugenics Movement
- UNESCO Bioethics Page (Includes Universal and International Declarations on aspects of Bioethics)
The following Research Centers are recommended:
- The Hastings Center (Nonpartisan organization that explores a great number of bioethical/biomedical issues)
for Bioethics and Human Dignity at Trinity International University
(Numerous resources and links/ engages bioethical issues from a biblical
values point of view)
Kennedy Institute of Ethics at Georgetown University (“…the world’s
oldest and most comprehensive academic bioethics center”)
Center for Applied Ethics at Santa Clara University (On the left side
of the page you will find focus areas and publications with large
numbers of full text offerings)
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703