TSL 5190: Second Language Acquisition
The following Databases are recommended to find peer-reviewed articles on your topic.
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCOHost)
- Education Full Text (EBSCOhost)
- ERIC (Proquest) (eric.ed.gov) (EBSCOHost)
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Research Library (ProQuest)
The following Books are recommended:
The Handbook of Bilingualism. Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2004.
- Handbook of Research in Second Language Teaching
and Learning. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2005.
- The Handbook of Second Language Acquisition. Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2003.
- Handbook of Cognitive Linguistics and Second
Language Acquisition. New York: Routledge, 2008.
Circulating Titles and Electronic
- Assessing English Language Learners in the Content
Areas. Ann Arbor: U of M Press, 2010.
PE1128 A2 M54 2010
Bilingualism and Language Pedagogy. Clevedon:
Multilingual Matters, 2004
- Childhood Bilingualism: research on infancy
through school age. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters, 2006.
- Cognition and Second Language Instruction.
Cambridge: CUP, 2001. (large variety of essays)
- Dual Language Development and Disorders: a handbook on bilingualism and second language learning. Baltimore: Brookes Pub., 2004. P115.2.G458 2004
- Essentials for Successful Language Teaching.
London: Continuum, 2010.
- Language Teaching: research and language pedagogy.
Malden: Wiley- Blackwell, 2012.
Literacy and Bilingualism: a handbook for all
teachers. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2000.
- Mind and Content in Adult Second Language Acquisition: methods, theory, and
practice. Washington, DC: Georgetown UP, 2005.
- New Trends and Methodologies in Applied English
Language Research. New York: Peter Lang, 2009.
- Researching Second Language Classrooms. Mahwah,
NJ: Erlbaum, 2006.
- Second Language Acquisition and Universal Grammar.
Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2003.
- Second Language Teacher Education: international
perspectives. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2005.
- Teaching English Language Learners. Los Angeles: Sage, 2012
PE1128 A2 C673 2012
Theories in Second Language Acquisition: an
introduction. Second Edition. NY: Routledge, 2015.
P118.2 .T45 201
Selected peer-reviewed free-access TESOL E-journals
- TESL-EJ, The Electronic Journal for English as a Second Language
- Directory of Open Access Scholarly Journals in Education (links to a variety of scholarly, full-text journals)
- Asian EFL Journal, includes issues of teaching EFL to Asian students
The following Websites are recommended:
- The Linguist List, a site managed by Eastern Michigan University with numerous links to ESL resources
- NCELA, National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition
- TEFL.Net, a site dedicated to links and resources for teaching English as a foreign or secondary language
Center for Adult English Language Acquisition (funded by the US
Department of Education’s Office of Vocational and Adult Education).
Research and Evidence-based resources
- TESL/TEFL/TESOL/ESL/EFL/ESOL Links of interest to Students and Teachers of English as a Second Language (Currently 10,192 links)
7:30 AM –
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703