TSL 5240: Teaching of Writing to ESL Students
The following Databases are recommended:
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCOHost)
- Education Full Text (EBSCOhost)
- ERIC (Proquest) (eric.ed.gov) (EBSCOHost)
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Research Library (ProQuest)
The following Books and eBooks are recommended:
- Academic writing: a handbook for international students. New York: Routledge,
PE1413 B28 2006
- Controversies in second language writing: dilemmas
and decisions in research and instruction. Ann Arbor: U of M Press, 2004.
- The handbook of bilingualism and multilingualism.
Malden: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012
- Researching second language classrooms. Mahwah,
NJ: Erlbaum, 2006.
- Second language teacher education: international
perspectives. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2005.
- Second language writers’ text: linguistic and rhetorical features. Mahwah, NJ:
PE1128.A2 H534 2002
- On second language writing. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2001. (collection of essays)
- Teaching English language learners: 43 stratagies for successful k-8 classrooms. Los Angeles:
PE1128.A2 C673 2012
Treatment of error in second language student
writing. Ann Arbor: U of M Press, 2011.
PE1128.A2 F474 2011
The following Websites are recommended:
- TESL/TEFL/TESOL/ESL/ESOL Links (of interest to students and teachers of
English as a Second Language with currently 10,192 links)
- TESL-EJ, The Electronic Journal for English as a Second Language
- Dartmouth Writing Program (Materials for faculty and students with pedagogical advice on writing in academe)
- Online Writing Lab (OWL), Purdue University
- OWL ESL Resources for Teachers
- Sounds of English
- An Online Pronunciation Guide for English, Spanish, French, German, Italian and other languages
site focuses on Latin-Greek prefixes, roots, suffixes, gives English
cross references, word lists, definitions, and vocabulary activities
7:30 AM –
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703