TSL 6900: Research Seminar in TESOL
The following Databases are recommended:
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCOHost)
- Education Full Text (EBSCOhost)
- ERIC (Proquest) (eric.ed.gov) (EBSCOHost)
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCOhost)
To locate individual full text electronic journals, click “Journals” on
the library home page and search by title. Print journal holdings are
listed in the Madonna Catalog.
Asian EFL Journal*
*electronic; **electronic + print
The following Books are recommended:
Asking Questions: the definitive guide to questionnaire design. San Francisco:
- Handbook of Data Analysis. London: Sage, 2004.
Dictionary of Statistics & Methodology: a nontechnical guide for the social
sciences. Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2005.
Methods for Testing and Evaluating Survey
Questionnaires. Hoboken: Wiley, 2004.
The Handbook of Bilingualism and Mutilingualism. Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2012.
- Handbook of Research in Second Language Teaching
and Learning. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2005.
- The Routledge Handbook of Second Language
Acquisition. New York: Routledge, 2012.
- Handbook of Cognitive Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition. New
York: Routledge, 2008.
P165 H36 2008
Circulating Titles and Electronic Resources by Subject Area
Quantitative and Qualitative
An Introduction to Qualitative Research. London: Sage, 2006.
Qualitative Inquiry & Research Design: choosing among five approaches.
Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2007.
Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research. Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2007.
An Introduction to Qualitative Research Synthesis. New York: Routledge, 2010.
The Science of Qualitative Research. New York:
Cambridge UP, 2011.
- Mind and Context in Adult Second Language
Acquisition: methods, theory, and practice Washington, DC: Georgetown UP, 2005.
- Research design : qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. Thousand Oaks : SAGE Publications, c2014.
H62 .C6963 2014
- Synthesising Qualitative Research. Hoboken: John
Wiley & Sons, 2011.
Other Research Methods
Advanced Focus Group Research. Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2001.
- Methods for Testing and Evaluating Survey
Questionnaires. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, 2004.
- Doing Case Study Research: a practical guide for
beginning researchers. New York: Teachers College Press,
2006. LB1028.H313 2006
- Case Study Research: theory, methods, practice.
Bingley: Emerald Group, 2010.
- Case Study Research: principles and practices. New
York: Cambridge UP, 2007
H62 .G47 2007
Questionnaires in Second Language Research:
construction, administration, and processing. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 2003.
- Dealing with Statistics. Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill,
- Longitudinal and Panel Data Analysis and
Applications in the Social Sciences. New York: Cambridge UP, 2004.
- Statistics: a very short introduction. New York:
Oxford UP, 2008
- Using Statistics: a gentle introduction. New York:
McGraw Hill, 2007
- Common Errors in Statistics (and how to avoid
them). Hoboken: Wiley, 2006.
- The Tao of Statistics: a path to understanding (with no math). Thousand Oaks:
- Statistics: a gentle introduction. Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2006.
- Developing Thinking in Statistics. London: Open
- Visual Statistics: seeing data with dynamic interactive graphics. Hoboken:
The following Websitesw are recommended:
- TESOL, the largest U.S. professional association for ESL teachers
- CALICO, the Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium
- IATEFL, International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language
- The Linguist List, site managed by Eastern Michigan University with numerous links to ESL resources
- NCELA, National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition
- TEFL.Net, site dedicated to links and resources for Teaching English as a foreign or secondary language
- CAELA: Center for Adult English Language Acquisition (funded by the US
Department of Education’s Office of Vocational and Adult Education).
Research and Evidence-based resources
- National Center for Educational Statistics, from the US Department of Education and the Institute of Education Sciences
- TESL-EJ, The Electronic Journal for English as a Second Language
- Directory of Open Access Journals in Education (links to a variety of scholarly, full-text journals)
- Language, Learning, & Technology, covers technology issues in language learning (hosted by MSU)
- Asian EFL Journal, includes issues of teaching EFL to Asian students
7:30 AM –
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703