RDG 5350: Linguistic Foundations of Literacy
The following Databases are recommended:
- ERIC (EBSCOhost) (Proquest) (eric.ed.gov)
- Education Full Text (EBSCOhost)
- Humanities Full Text (EBSCOhost)
- Social Sciences Full Text (EBSCOhost)
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCOHost)
- Research Library (ProQuest)
For access to individual electronic journals on linguistics, you can view the list of Journal Titles under the "Philology & Linguistics" Subject Heading.
You can find additional print and electronic book resources by doing a simple keyword search on our catalog. Here are a few examples:
- The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Child Development. NY: CUP, 2005.
- Handbook of Developmental Psychology. CA: Sage, 2003.
- Blackwell Handbook of Childhood Cognitive Development. MA: Blackwell, 2004.
- Handbook of Child Psychology. Hoboken: Wiley, 2006. (especially vol.2)
- Handbook of Reading Research (vol.3). NJ: Erlbaum, 2000.
- A Dictionary of Linguistics & Phonetics. MA: Blackwell, 2008.
P29.C65 2008 (eBook)
- A Glossary of Semantics and Pragmatics. Edinburgh:EUP,2006.
- International Encyclopedia of Linguistics. NY: OUP, 2003.
- Psycholinguistics: the Key Concepts. NY: Routledge, 2004.
- The Handbook of Bilingualism. MA: Blackwell, 2004.
- The Handbook of Language and Gender. MA: Blackwell, 2003.
P120.S48 H36 2003
- Key Concepts in Language and Linguistics. NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2005.
- The Oxford Handbook of Applied Linguistics. NY: OUP, 2002.
- The Handbook of Historical Linguistics. MA: Blackwell, 2005.
- Progress in Understanding Reading: scientific foundations and new frontiers. NY: Guilford, 2000.
- Literacy: helping children construct meaning. MA: H-Mifflin, 2006.
- The Language of Experience: literate practices and social change. PA: U of Pittsburgh, 2005.
- Language, Culture, and Mind. CA: CSLI Pubs., 2004.
- The 'Language Instinct' Debate. London: Continuum, 2005.
P37.5 I55 S265 2005
- Essential Linguistics: what you need to know to teach reading, ESL, spelling, phonics, and grammar. NH: Heinemann, 2004.
- Chomsky and His Critics. MA: Blackwell, 2003.
P85.C47 C47 2003
- Toward an Evolutionary Biology of Language. MA: HUP, 2006.
- The Power of Babel: a Natural History of Language. NY: Holt, 2001.
- Linguistics : An Introduction to Language and Communication (2010)
- Key Ideas in Linguistics and the Philosophy of Language (2009)
- Trends in Linguistics. Studies and Monographs : Language Usage and Language Structure (2010)
- Linguistics Enterprise : From Knowledge of Language to Knowledge in Linguistics (2010)
The following Websites are recommended:
- Ethnologue (comprehensive site for language resources)
- The Linguistic Data Consortium (wide array of speech, natural language and text databases together with lexicons)
- The LINGUIST List (all branches of linguistics covered, managed by Eastern Michigan and Wayne State Universities)
- Linguistic Resources on the Internet (provided by the Summer Institute of Linguistics)
- Cognitive Science Program/Michigan State University (links to affiliated laboratories of the university)
- National Clearing House for English Language Acquisition & Language Instruction Educational Programs (NCELA) (funded by the US Department of Education)
- The Reading Genie (a synthesis of research findings on reading acquisition as well as a resource for classroom tools and activities)
- Reading Rockets (multimedia site of PBS programs, information, research, and websites on reading)
- Vaughn Gross Center for Reading and Language Arts (at U of Texas)
- The Florida Center for Reading Research (resources for teachers and researchers)
- Institute for Evidence-Based Education (Formerly known as The Institute on Reading Research, at Southern Methodist University)
The following Citation Guides are recommended:
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. 6th Edition. LB2369 .P63 2010
- Citation Machine
- KnightCite at Calvin College Heckman Library
- The OWL at Purdue
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703