Dietetics and Nutrition Resource Guide
The following databases are recommended:
- ABI/INFORM Collection
- AGRICOLA (National Agriculture Library)(EBSCOHost)
- Biological and Agricultural Plus Index
- Health Source - Consumer Edition
- Nursing and Allied Health Database
- OmniFile Full Text Select
- Research Library
The following journals are recommended:
Use our e-journal locator to browse journals in the subject that are available electronically.
- Annual Review of Nutrition
- Food Management
- Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Journal of the American Dietetic Association
- Journal of Food Science
- Journal of Nutrition
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Nutrition Reviews
- Nutrition Today
The following subject searches and books are recommended:
You can search for them in the Library Catalog or you can use some of the sample searches below to get you started:
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias:
- American Dictionary of Culinary Terms - Ellen C. Sannon
- Concise Encyclopedia of Foods and Nutrition - Audrey H. Ensminger
- A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives: Descriptions in Plain English of More Than 12,000 Ingredients Both Harmful and Desirable Found in Foods - Ruth Winter
- The Corinne T. Netzer Encyclopedia of Food Values - Corinne T. Netzer
- Dictionary of Food Ingredients - Robert S. Igoe & Y.H. Hui
- Dictionary of Food Microbiology - Hanns K. Frank
- Dictionary of Nutrition and Food Technology - Arnold E. Bender
- Bender's Dictionaryof Nutritionand Food Technology - David A. Bender (eBook)
- Dictionary of Nutritional Health: A Guide to the Relation Between Diet and Health - compiled and written by Adrienne Mayes
- Encyclopedia of Food Science and Technology - F.J. Francis
- Encyclopedia of Foods: A Guide to Healthy Nutrition - prepared by medical and nutrition experts from Mayo Clinic
- Foods and Nutrition Encyclopedia - Audrey H. Ensminger
- Larousse Gastronomique: The New American Edition of the World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia - edited by Jenifer Harvey Lang
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology
Handbooks and Manuals:
- Bowes and Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used - Anna de Planter Bowes & Helen Nichols Church
- Edible Plants and Animals: Unusual Foods from Aardvark to Zamia - A.D. Livingston & Helen Livingston
- Food Chronology: A Food Lover's Compendium of Events and Anecdotes from Prehistory to the Present - James Trager
- Food Composition and Nutrition Tables
- Food Safety Handbook - edited by Ronald H. Schmidt & Gary E. Rodrick
- Nutrients in Foods - GIlbert A. Leveille, Mary Ellen Zabik, & Karen J. Morgan
The following websites are recommended:
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics – Research, education, and advocacy resources devoted to improving the nation’s health and advancing professional dietetics.
- Body Weight Planner – NIH’s tool to make personalized calorie and physical activity plans to reach a goal weight and maintain it.
- Dietary Supplement Label Database – NIH’s database of dietary supplement products available in the U.S.
- Food and Drug Administration – Resources, news, and webinars related to food and dietary topics.
- Food Insight – Research and science communication about health, nutrition, food safety, and agriculture.
- LactMed: Drugs and Lactation Database – Database containing information on drugs and chemicals that breastfeeding mothers may be exposed, possible adverse effects, and suggested therapeutic alternatives.
- MedLine Plus Food and Nutrition Topics – National Library of Medicine’s resources on food and nutrition-related topics.
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) – Interviews and physical examinations designed to assess the health and nutritional status of adults and children in the U.S.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) – Leadership and opportunity to promote agriculture production and preserve the Nation’s natural resources.
- Online: Ask-A-Librarian
- Phone: Call the Reference Desk at 734-432-5767
- In Person:
- Drop by the library any time and ask to speak with a librarian
- Schedule a session with a specific Librarian
Use the library's Interlibrary Loan Service to request articles or books that are not in the library's collection.
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703