Dietetics and Nutrition Resources
This guide has been prepared for students in the Dietetics and Nutrition program at Madonna University.
For more information, or for help using these resources, please contact one of our librarians.
Access information for protected content can be found on the Madonna Portal.
- ABI/INFORM Collection
- AGRICOLA (National Agriculture Library) (EBSCOHost)
- Biological and Agricultural Plus Index
- Health Source - Consumer Edition
- OmniFile Full Text Select
- Nursing and Allied Health Database
- Research Library
The Library receives many periodicals that include articles in the field of dietetics and nutrition; some titles are listed below. Use our e-journal locator to browse journals in the subject that are available electronically.
The Madonna University Library contains many books on nutrition and dietetics in print and eBook format. You can search for them in the Library Catalog or you can use some of the sample searches below to get you started:
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- American Dictionary of Culinary Terms - REF TX 349 .S528
- Concise Encyclopedia of Foods and Nutrition - REF TX 349 .C567 1995
- A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives - REF TX553.A3 W55 2004
- Dictionary of Food Ingredients - REF TX 551 .I6 1999
- Dictionary of Food Microbiology - REF QR 115 . F6813 1992
- Dictionary of Nutrition and Food Technology - REF TX349 .B458
- Bender's dictionary of nutrition and food technology (eBook) - TX349 .B4 2006eb
- Dictionary of Nutritional Health - REF TX 349 .M38 1986
- Encyclopedia of Foods - REF TX349 .E485 2002
- Encyclopedia of Food Science and Technology - REF TP 368.2 .E62 2000
- Encyclopedia of Food Values - REF TX 551 .N42 1992
- Foods and Nutrition Encyclopedia - REF TX 349 .F575 1994
- Larousse Gastronomique - REF TX 349 .M613 1988
- McGraw Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology - REF Q 121 .M3 2002
Handbooks and Manuals
- Bowes and Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used - REF TX 551 .B64 1998
- Edible Plants and Animals - REF TX 743 .L58 1993
- Food Chronology - REF TX 355 .T72 1995
- Food Composition and Nutrition Tables - REF TX 551 .S73
- Food Safety Handbook - REF TP373.5 .F67 2003
- Nutrients in Foods - REF TX 551 .N76 1983
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. The Academy is committed to improving the nation's health and advancing the profession of dietetics through research, education and advocacy.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- FoodInsight: The International Food Information Council (IFIC) Foundation is dedicated to the mission of effectively communicating science-based information on health, nutrition and food safety for the public good.
- LactMed: The LactMed® database contains information on drugs and other chemicals to which breastfeeding mothers may be exposed. It includes information on the levels of such substances in breast milk and infant blood, and the possible adverse effects in the nursing infant. Suggested therapeutic alternatives to those drugs are provided, where appropriate. All data are derived from the scientific literature and fully referenced. A peer review panel reviews the data to assure scientific validity and currency.
- MedLine Plus Food and Nutrition Topics
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES): The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) is a program of studies designed to assess the health and nutritional status of adults and children in the United States. The survey is unique in that it combines interviews and physical examinations.
- NIH Body Weight Planner: The Body Weight Planner allows users to make personalized calorie and physical activity plans to reach a goal weight within a specific time period and to maintain it afterwards.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA): Provides useful information about food safety, nutrition, rural issues, research, education, and natural resources.
- Online: Ask-A-Librarian
- Phone: Call the Reference Desk at 734-432-5767
- In Person:
- Drop by the library any time and ask to speak with a librarian
- Schedule a session with a specific Librarian
Use the library's Interlibrary Loan Service to request articles or books that are not in the library's collection.
7:30 AM –
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703