Earth Science Resource Guide
The following databases are recommended:
- Access Science
- Applied Science Full Text
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Research Library
- Science Database
- Today's Science
The following journals are recommended:
Journals by subject category:
- Earth & Environmental Sciences
- Earth & Environmental Sciences: Meteorology & Climatology
- Earth & Environmental Sciences: Geology: Mineralogy
To locate more, browse by subject in our Full Text E-Journal locator.
- Annual review of ecology and systematics
- Atlantic geology
- Atmospheric chemistry and physics
- Bulletin of marine science
- Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society
- Climatic change
- Conservation ecology
- Contributions to mineralogy and petrology
- Ecology and society
- Environmental toxicology and chemistry
- Journal of applied meteorology and climatology
- Journal of atmospheric and oceanic technology
- Journal of oceanography
- Journal of the atmospheric sciences
- Journal of the Geological Society
- Marine biology
- Meteorology and atmospheric physics
- Mineralogical record
- Mineralogy and petrology
- Natural resources journal
- Ocean science
- Rocks & minerals
- Theoretical and applied climatology
The following subject searches for books are recommended:
- Earth Science
- Natural Disasters
- Plate Tectonics
- Volcanoes and Earthquakes
Additional materials may be obtained via interlibrary loan.
The following websites are recommended:
- AGU Seismology – Webinars and resources devoted to the use of seismic waves to study earthquake faults and the Earth’s internal structure.
- American Geological Institute – Resources and research devoted to serving geoscientists, strengthening geoscience education, and increasing public awareness about geoscience’s roles in human society.
- Cascades Volcano Observatory – U.S. Geological Survey’s resources and education devoted to studying volcanic activity in the world and in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho.
- Earth Science Lesson Plan Library – Discovery Education’s resources for earth science educators to use in classrooms.
- Earth Science World – Images, activities, and resources for earth science educators.
- Education Index Geology – Links to geology resources including topics such as topography, environmental science, dinosaurs, and more.
- El Niño Theme Page – NOAA news and research devoted to teaching about El Niño.
- Geoscience Information Society – Publications and resources facilitating the exchange of information in the geosciences.
- National Earthquake Information Center – Data, research, and resources devoted to improving earthquake hazard identification and risk.
- National Geographic: Environment – News stories related to topics on the environment
- National Geographic: Our Solar System – News stories related to topics about the solar system and planets.
- Ocean and Coasts – NOAA’s research and resources devoted to observing, measuring, protecting, and managing coastal, ocean, and Great Lakes areas.
- Office of Naval Research – Research and education devoted to providing technical advice to the Chief of Naval Operations and the Secretary of the Navy.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – Laws, regulations, and resources devoted to protecting human health and the environment.
- U.S. Geological Survey – Research and resources about the health of our ecosystems and environment and the impact of climate and land-use change.
- Weather – NOAA’s National Weather Service forecasts and resources on weather-related topics.
- World-Wide Earthquake Locator – Map of location of earthquakes based on USGS data.
- Online: Ask-A-Librarian
- Phone: Call the Reference Desk at 734-432-5767
- In Person:
- Drop by the library any time and ask to speak with a librarian
- Schedule a session with a specific Librarian
Use the library's Interlibrary Loan Service to request articles or books that are not in the library's collection.
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703