Mathematics Resource Guide
Mathematical Modeling Contest
The Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM) is an international contest for high school students and college undergraduates. The MCM is designed to stimulate and improve problem-solving and writing skills in mathematics. Students participate as team members rather than as individuals, creating an environment for sharing knowledge and skills. To support the research of these project teams, the library recommends the following Databases, Journals, and Books:
The following databases are recommended:
- Access Science (Mathematics section)
- Applied Science and Technology
- OmniFile Full Text Select
- Research Library
The following journals are recommended:
The following book resources are recommended:
The Library of Congress classification system puts Mathematics in the QA call number section of the library. You'll find many resources in print in this section of both the reading room and the reference area. Below are some sample searches in our catalog.
- Mathematical Models
- Simulation (multi-disciplinary - narrow down with further keywords or subject filters)
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - Real Life Math
The following websites are recommended:
- American Mathematical Society – Research and professional services devoted to connecting the diverse global mathematical community.
- Mathematics Matters – Institute of Mathematics’ case studies of math being used to solve problems in the real world.
- Millennium Mathematics Project – Education and outreach initiative for ages 2-19 and the general public focused on increase mathematical understanding, confidence, and enjoyment.
- National Museum of Mathematics – Exhibits, galleries, and programs designed to highlight the role of mathematics in illuminating the world around us.
- Wolfram MathWorld – Free interactive tutorial and educational tools for math education.
- Online: Ask-A-Librarian
- Phone: Call the Reference Desk at 734-432-5767
- In Person:
- Drop by the library any time and ask to speak with a librarian
- Schedule a session with a specific Librarian
Use the library's Interlibrary Loan Service to request articles or books that are not in the library's collection.
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703