Meteorology Resource Guide
The following databses are recommended:
- Academic Search Complete
- Access Science
- Applied Science Full Text
- Computing Database
- Research Library
- Science Database
- Today's Science
The following journals are recommended:
To locate more, browse by subject in our Full Text E-Journal locator.
- Atmospheric chemistry and physics
- Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society
- Climatic change
- Journal of atmospheric and oceanic technology
- Journal of climate
- Journal of the atmospheric sciences
- Meteorology and atmospheric physics
- Monthly weather review
- Theoretical and applied climatology
- Weather and forecasting
The following subject searches and books are recommended:
- Atmospheric Pollution: History, Science, and Regulation - Mark Z. Jacobson
- Atmospheric Processes and Systems - Russell D. Thompson
- The Changing Atmosphere: A Global Challenge - John Firor
- Climate Change and Climate Modeling - J. David Neelin
- The Copenhagen Diagnosis: Updating the World on the Latest Climate Science - Ian Allison
- Currents of Change: Impacts of El Niño and La Nina on Climate and Society - Michael H. Glantz
- The Discovery of Global Warming - Spencer R. Weart
- Dynamic Climatology: Basis in Mathematics and Physics - John N. Rayner
- Earth Shock: Hurricanes, Volcanoes, Earthquakes, Tornadoes and Other Forces of Nature - Andrew Robinson
- The Fate of the Species: Why the Human Race May Cause Its Own Extinction and How We Can Stop It - Fred Guterl
- Global Climate Change - edited by Paul McCaffrey
- Global Environment: Water, Air, and Geochemical Cycles - Elizabeth Key Berner & Robert A. Berner
- Ozone Depletion and Climate Change: Constructing a Global Response - Matthew J. Hoffman
- The Weather Makers: How Man is Changing the Climate and What it Means for Life on Earth - Tim Flannery
- World Climatic Systems - John G. Lockwood
The following websites are recommended:
- American Meteorological Society – Research, education, and resources committed to advancing weather, water, and climate science and service.
- American Meteorological Society: Project Atmosphere – Comprehensive teacher professional development course based on studies in the atmospheric sciences.
- Geostationary Satellite Server – NOAA’s moving satellite imagery for weather forecasting.
- Joint Typhoon Warning Center – U.S. Department of Defense’s agency responsible for issuing tropical cyclone warnings in the Pacific and Indian Oceans.
- Meteorology Education and Training – Free collection of training resources intended for the geoscience community.
- Meteorology Online Guides – University of Illinois’ collection of web-based meteorology instruction modules.
- NASA's Earth Observing System – Missions and data from a coordinated series of satellites for long-term global observations of the land surface, biosphere, atmosphere, and oceans.
- National Environmental Satellite Data and Information Service – NOAA’s global environmental data and information from satellites to promote and protect the U.S.
- National Hurricane Center – National Weather Service data and tools used to increase understanding of hazardous tropical weather.
- National Weather Service – NOAA’s weather forecasting map.
- Navy Tropical Cyclone Page – Data from cyclone tracking tools.
- Real-Time Weather Data – Satellite, forecast, radar, and other data for real-time weather prediction.
- Storm Prediction Center – Timely and accurate watch and forecast information dealing with tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, wildfires, and winter weather.
- Tropical Cyclones – University of Wisconsin’s data and imagery used to forecast tropical cyclones.
- UM Weather Center – University of Michigan’s weather data and forecasts.
- University Corporation for Atmospheric Research – Research services and university collaboration to accelerate scientific discoveries in atmospheric research and amplify their impact.
- University of Hawaii Weather Server – Radar and imagery for weather forecasting.
- University of Wyoming – Data, soundings, and maps.
- Weather World 2010 Project – Online resources related to weather and meteorology from the University of Illinois.
- Wolfram Alpha: Earth Sciences – Free interactive tutorials and educational tools for earth science education.
- World Meteorological Organization – UN agency dedicated to international coordination and cooperation on the state of the Earth’s atmosphere, its interaction with the land and oceans, and the weather and climate it produces.
- Online: Ask-A-Librarian
- Phone: Call the Reference Desk at 734-432-5767
- In Person:
- Drop by the library any time and ask to speak with a librarian
- Schedule a session with a specific Librarian
Use the library's Interlibrary Loan Service to request articles or books that are not in the library's collection.
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703