MTH 4960: Senior Seminar in Elementary Mathematics Education
This guide has been prepared for students at Madonna University.
For more information, or for help using these resources, please contact one of our librarians.
Access information for protected content can be found on the Madonna Portal.
Created by G. Fischer
Recommended Databases include:
This list is not exhaustive, but represents the more commonly cited journals in the field. The dates covered vary by the format in which they are offered, so please be sure to check both the electronic and print formats, where applicable.
- The American mathematical monthly (Electronic | Print)
- The Arithmetic teacher (Electronic | Print)
- The Mathematical gazette (Print)
- Mathematics Teaching (Electronic)
- Math horizons (Print)
- The College mathematics journal (Electronic | Print)
- Mathematics teaching in the middle school (Electronic | Print)
- Teaching children mathematics (Electronic | Print)
- Teaching of mathematics (Electronic)
- School science and mathematics (Electronic | Print)
- Journal for research in mathematics education (Electronic | Print)
- The Mathematics teacher (Electronic | Print)
- Mathematics and computer education (Electronic)
* To access electronic journals, use our website to search electronic journals by title.
The library maintains many resources on mathematics, both in print and as eBooks. Some suggested items are listed below, or browse the catalog or call number areas. For assistance in locating any of these items, please contact a reference librarian.
- Search for one or two key topics and then narrow the search results using the subject checkboxes. (Example)
Madonna Library Catalog:
- List of NCTM Yearbooks in the catalog
- List of library materials – “Elementary Mathematics Education” (includes some eBooks from the Ebrary collection)
- Call number range where students will find most of the books in this subject: QA 1-43, QA 101-145 (in both the reading room and the reference area)
History of Mathematics: QA 21-27
- Artemiadis, Nicolaus K. History of Mathematics From a Mathematician's Vantage Point. Providence: American Mathematical Society, 2004.
- Berlinghoff, William P. Math Through the Ages: A Gentle History for Teachers and Others. Oxton House and the Mathematical Association of America, 2004.
- Bunt, et. Al. The Historical Roots of Elementary Mathematics. NY: Dover, 1988.
- Grattan-Guinness, Ivor. The Norton History of the Mathematical Sciences. NY: Norton, 1998.
- Kline, Morris. Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times. NY: Oxford, 1972.
- Rowe, David E. The History of Modern Mathematics (2 Vols.). Academic Press, 1989.
Teaching Mathematics: QA 1-20
- Artzt, Alice. Becoming a Reflective Mathematics Teacher: A Guide for Observations and Self-Assessment. New York: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2002.
- Assessment Standards for School Mathematics. NCTM, 1995.
- Clarke, Velta. Effective Strategies in the Teaching of Mathematics. UP of America, 2002.
- Grinstein & Lipsey, Eds. Encyclopedia of Mathematics Education. New York: Routledge, 2001.
- Lester, Frank K., Ed. Second Handbook of Research on Mathematics Teaching and Learning. NCTM, 2007. 2 Vols.
- Nasir & Cobb. Improving Access to Mathematics: Diversity and Equity in the Classroom. Teachers College Press, 2007.
Recommended websites include:
History of Mathematics Sites
- History of Mathematics (Clark University)
- Chronological List of Mathematicians (Clark University)
- MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive (University of St. Andrews, Scotland)
- Mathematics/Mathematics in Various Cultures History (University of St. Andrews, Scotland)
- History of Mathematics (Mathematics Archive)
- Biographies of Women in Mathematics (Agnes Scott College)
- Mathematicians of the 17th and 18th Centuries (Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland)
Best Practices Sites
- Online: Ask-A-Librarian
- Phone: Call the Reference Desk at 734-432-5767
- In Person:
Use the library's Interlibrary Loan Service to request articles or books that are not in the library's collection.
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703