MTH 4960: Senior Seminar in Elementary Mathematics Education Resource Guide
The following databases are recommended:
- Academic Search Complete
- Education Database (Example Search)
- Education Full Text
- ERIC (Proquest) (eric.ed.gov) (EBSCOHost)
- Gale Virtual Reference Library (Excellent resource for history of Mathematics, biographies, etc.)
- Teacher Reference Center
The following journals are recommended:
The dates covered vary by the format in which they are offered, so please be sure to check both the electronic and print formats, where applicable.
- The American mathematical monthly
- The Arithmetic teacher (Print)
- Mathematics Teaching
- Math horizons (Print)
- The College mathematics journal (Print)
- Mathematics teaching in the middle school (Print)
- Teaching children mathematics (Print)
- Teaching of mathematics
- School science and mathematics (Print)
- Journal for research in mathematics education (Print)
- The Mathematics teacher (Print)
- Mathematics and computer education
* To access electronic journals, use our website to search electronic journals by title.
- List of specific Journal titles by subject:
The following subject searches and books are recommended:
- Search for one or two key topics and then narrow the search results using the subject checkboxes. (Example)
Madonna Library Catalog:
- List of NCTM Yearbooks in the catalog
- List of library materials – “Elementary Mathematics Education” (includes some eBooks from the Ebrary collection)
- Call number range where students will find most of the books in this subject: QA 1-43, QA 101-145 (in both the reading room and the reference area)
History of Mathematics: QA 21-27:
- The Historical Roots of Elementary Mathematics - Lucas N.H. Bunt, Phillip S. Jones, & Jack D. Bedient
- History of Mathematics From a Mathematician's Vantage Point - Nikolaos K. Artemiadis; translated by Nikolaoes E. Sofronidis
- The History of Modern Mathematics: Proceedings of the Symposium on the History of Modern Mathematics, Vassar College, Pughkeepsie, New York, June 20-24, 1988 (2 vols) - edited by David E. Rowe & John McCleary
- Math Through the Ages: A Gentle History for Teachers and Others - William P. Berlinghoff & Fernando Q. Gouvea
- Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times - Morris Kline
- The Norton History of the Mathematical Sciences: The Rainbow of Mathematics - Ivor Grattan-Guinness
Teaching Mathematics: QA 1-20:
- Assessment Standards for School Mathematics - prepared by the assessment standards working groups of the national Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Becoming a Reflective Mathematics Teacher: A Guide for Observations and Self-Assessment - Alice F. Artzt & Eleanor Armour-Thomas
- Effective Strategies in the Teaching of Mathematics: A Light from Mathematics to Technology - Velta Clarke
- Encyclopedia of Mathematics Education - edited by Louise S. Grinstein & Sally I. Lipsey
- Improving Access to Mathematics: Diversity and Equity in the Classroom - edited by Na'ilah Suad Nasir & Paul Cobb
- Second Handbook of Research on Mathematics Teaching and Learning: A Project of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics - edited by Frank K. Lester, Jr.
The following websites are recommended:
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators – Research, professional development, and resources dedicated to improving mathematics education.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics – Research, professional development, and resources dedicated to high-quality mathematics teaching and learning.
History of Mathematics:
- Biographies of Women in Mathematics – Agnes Scott College’s index of biographical essays or comments on women mathematicians.
- Chronological List of Mathematicians – Chronological index of the names of mathematicians.
- History of Mathematics – Subject guides, books, and resources related to the history of mathematics.
- History of Mathematics (Mathematics Archive) – List of outside resources to learn about topics in math.
- MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive – University of St. Andrews’ archive with biographies, math topics, and famous mathematics graphs.
- Mathematicians of the 17th and 18th Centuries - Trinity College’s chronological index of seventeenth and eighteenth century mathematicians.
- Mathematics in Various Cultures History – University of St. Andrews’ history of mathematics in various cultures including Chinese, Islamic, Egyptian, and more.
The library keeps a list of Citation Managers, Citation Guides, and resources for helping you write an annotated bibliography or literature review on our website. We also recommend students take advantage of the Writing Center on campus.
- Online: Ask-A-Librarian
- Phone: Call the Reference Desk at 734-432-5767
- In Person:
- Drop by the library any time and ask to speak with a librarian
- Schedule a session with a specific Librarian
Finding Full Text Articles
If you need to find articles that aren't available online full-text or in hard copy in the Library's collection or you need to locate a book that the library doesn't own, please use the Library's Interlibrary Loan Service and request your items by filling out and submitting the appropriate online form.
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703