MTH 4960: Senior Seminar in Elementary Mathematics Education
This guide has been prepared for students at Madonna University. For more information, or for help using these resources, please contact one of our librarians.
Databases | Journals | Books | Websites
- History of Science, Technology and Medicine (FirstSearch)
This list is not exhaustive, but represents the more commonly cited journals in the field. The dates covered vary by the format in which they are offered, so please be sure to check both the electronic and print formats, where applicable.
* To access electronic journals, use our website to search electronic journals by title.
- List of specific Journal titles by subject:
The library maintains many resources on mathematics, both in print and as eBooks. Some suggested items are listed below, or browse the catalog or call number areas. For assistance in locating any of these items, please contact a reference librarian.
- Search for one or two key topics and then narrow
the search results using the subject checkboxes. (Example)
Madonna Library Catalog:
History of Mathematics: QA 21-27
- Artemiadis, Nicolaus K. History of Mathematics From a Mathematician's Vantage Point. Providence: American Mathematical Society, 2004.
- Berlinghoff, William P. Math Through the Ages: A Gentle History for Teachers and Others. Oxton House and the Mathematical Association of America, 2004.
- Bunt, et. Al. The Historical Roots of Elementary Mathematics. NY: Dover, 1988.
- Grattan-Guinness, Ivor. The Norton History of the Mathematical Sciences. NY: Norton, 1998.
- Kline, Morris. Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times. NY: Oxford, 1972.
- Rowe, David E. The History of Modern Mathematics (2 Vols.). Academic Press, 1989.
Teaching Mathematics: QA 1-20
- Artzt, Alice. Becoming a Reflective Mathematics Teacher: A Guide for Observations and Self-Assessment. New York: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2002.
- Assessment Standards for School Mathematics. NCTM, 1995.
- Clarke, Velta. Effective Strategies in the Teaching of Mathematics. UP of America, 2002.
- Grinstein & Lipsey, Eds. Encyclopedia of Mathematics Education. New York: Routledge, 2001.
- Lester, Frank K., Ed. Second Handbook of Research on Mathematics Teaching and Learning. NCTM, 2007. 2 Vols.
- Nasir & Cobb. Improving Access to Mathematics: Diversity and Equity in the Classroom. Teachers College Press, 2007.
History of Mathematics Sites
Best Practices Sites
Updated 2013-June-18 by G. Fischer