Addiction Studies Pathfinder
Offering resources, such as databases, websites, catalog items, etc., that are relevant to Addiction Studies.
Developed by Carol Vandenberg,
Librarian & Archivist, Social Work Collection, Social Sciences Liaison,
For questions or comments contact: email@example.com; Revised 10/2018
The folowwing Databases are recommended:
- Issues and Controversies: Use for topics, keywords and websites
- Proquest: User friendly, contains full-text articles
- Gale Databases: Search All
- EBSCOHOST Search:
Select titles online and in Library:
- Addiction and Health
- Addiction professional
- Addiction research & theory
- Addiction science & clinical practice
- Addiction treatment forum
- American Journal of Health Behavior
- American journal on addictions
- CNS Drugs
- Cross Currents
- Drug & Alcohol Review
- Journal of addictions & offender counseling
- Journal of Addictions Nursing
- Journal of Drug & Alcohol Abuse
- Journal of Drug Issues
- Journal of gambling studies
- Journal of sex research
- Journal of Substance Use
- Sexual & Relationship Therapy
- Sexual Addiction & Compulsivity
Madonna University Catalog http://library.madonna.edu/
- Addicted? : recognizing destructive behavior before it's too late / by Freimuth, Marilyn, 1951-. Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield : Distributed by National Book Network, c2008 .; RC533 .F744 2008
- Addiction treatment : comparing religion and science in application / by Hood, Daniel E.. New Brunswick : Transaction Publishers, c2011; HV5825 .H66 2011
- Addiction treatment : science and policy for the twenty-first century / by Henningfield, Jack E.; Santora, Patricia B., 1949-; Bickel, Warren K.. Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, c2007 .; RA564 .A3348 2007
- Handbook for working with children and youth: pathways to resilience across cultures and contexts / edited by Michael Ungar. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications, c 2005. REF BF723 .R46 H357 2005
- Healing the addicted brain : the revolutionary, science-based alcoholism and addiction recovery program / by Urschel, Harold.. Naperville, IL : Sourcebooks, Inc., c2009 ..; RC565 .U77 2009
- Impact of substance abuse on children and families : research and practice implications /by Straussner, Shulamith Lala Ashenberg.; Fewell, Christine Huff.. Binghamton, NY : Haworth Press, Inc., 2006 .; HV4998 .I54 2006
- Love sick : love as a mental illness / by Tallis, Frank.. New York : Thunder's Mouth Press, 2005 .Edition: 1st U.S. ed .; BF575.L8 T34 2005
- Spirituality and religiousness and alcohol/other drug problems : treatment and recovery perspectives / by Benda, Brent B.; McGovern, Thomas F.. New York : Haworth Press, c2006 .; HV5275 .S665 2006
- Virtually you : the dangerous powers of the e-personality / by Aboujaoude, Elias, 1971-. New York : W.W. Norton, c2011 .Edition: 1st ed . RC569.5.I54 A26 2011
- Women, girls, and addiction : celebrating the feminine in counseling treatment and recovery / by Briggs, Cynthia A. 1972-; Pepperell, Jennifer L.. New York : Routledge, c2009.; HV4999.W65 B75 2009
- Addiction : A Disorder of Choice ebrary Reader / Heyman, Gene M. Harvard University Press Original Publication Date: 10/2009
- Addiction : From Biology to Drug Policy ebrary Reader / Goldstein, Avram. Oxford University Press. Original Publication Date: 09/2001
- Tackling Addiction : Pathways to Recovery ebrary Reader Yates, Rowdy Malloch, Margaret S. Jessica Kingsley Publishers. Original Publication Date: 03/2010
- Creating the American Junkie : Addiction Research in the Classic Era of Narcotic Control ebrary Reader / Acker, Caroline Jean. Johns Hopkins University Press. Original Publication Date: 04/2002
- Critical thinking for addiction professionals [electronic resource] / by Taleff, Michael J.. NetLibrary, Inc.. New York, NY : Springer Pub. Co., c2006. RC457 .T35 2006eb
The following Websites are recommended:
HIV/AIDS (Human Immunodeficiency Virus -- HIV/Autoimmune Deficiency Syndrome -- AIDS)
- AIDS.gov Includes links to test sites, latest information, news & events, etc.
- CDC Responds to HIV/AIDS (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Basic information, funding, statistics, global and national, gender, etc.; Spanish.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HSS), HIV/AIDS Policy Establishes HIV/AIDS policies, implementation, priorities and initiatives across HHS.
- MedlinePlus HIV/AIDS National Institutes of Health (NIH) web site produced by the National Library of Medicine (NLM); reliable, up-to-date health information for free. Spanish.
- AIDSinfo (NIH) Treatment, prevention, and research; Spanish.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) HIV/AIDSTargeted to patients and patients advocates.
- Rational RecoveryAlternative to twelve step program.
- SMART Recovery (Self Management And Recovery Training) Addiction recovery (substances or activities), 4 step recovery program, based on scientific knowledge and evidence-based practices.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Twelve Step Recovery Program; French, Spanish.
- Chemically Dependent Anonymous Twelve Step Recovery Program.
- Cocaine Anonymous Twelve Step Recovery Program; French.
- Overeaters Anonymous Twelve Step Recovery Program; Spanish.
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous International group, follows the twelve step plan of Alcoholics Anonymous.
- Gamblers Anonymous International Service Office Twelve Step Recovery Program.
- Sex Addicts Anonymous Twelve Step Recovery Program; Spanish.
- Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous Twelve Step Recovery Program; French, Spanish, Japanese, et al.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) The Science of Drug Abuse & Addiction; Spanish.
- NREPP SAMHSA's National Registry of Evidence-based Program and Practices Searchable online registry of mental health and substance abuse interventions reviewed and rated by independent reviewers.
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Facilitates prevention and recovery for people with or at risk for mental or substance use disorders. Offers grants and funding; Spanish.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Federal government site gives details on different occupations. Information includes nature of work, income range, projected need, related fields, professional organizations, etc. Link to OOH Counselors See also individual organizations.
- Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals Competency standards
- United Way 2-1-1 directory United Way for Southeastern Michigan; United Way 2-1-1 is a multi-lingual, comprehensive information and referral service available 24/7/365.
- U.S. Census Bureau Quality data and statistical information that can be broken down by state and county, education, race, income level, health insurance coverage, etc.
The following Citation Guides are recommended:
7:30 AM –
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703