resources, such as databases, websites, catalog items, etc., relevant to
Developed by Carol Vandenberg, Librarian & Archivist, Social Work Collection, Social Sciences Liaison,
For questions or comments contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; Revised 10/2018
The following Databases are recommended:
- Issues and Controversies: Use for topics ideas, current news and websites.
- ProQuest User-friendly, contains full-text articles.
- Gale Databases Search: All
- EBSCOHOST Search:
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text (Health Care),
The following Websites are recommended:
- American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry For health care professionals in geriatric psychiatry.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Eat right. (Name change: formerly the American Dietetic Association)
- American Geriatrics Society Implements and advocates for programs in patient care, research, professional and public education, and public policy.
- American Society on Aging Professionals concerned with the physical, emotional, social, economic and spiritual aspects of aging. Includes such people as practitioners, educators, administrators, policymakers, business people, researchers, students, etc.
- arthritis.com Sponsored by Pfizer, this offers educational information on arthritis not intended to replace a health care provider.
- Commission for Case Manager Certification CCMC Glossary of Terms
- ElderWeb Developed and maintained by an individual, contains good links and information on eldercare, long term care, aging, and other topics. Click on LTC Facts, then Statistics for most of the articles.
- Geriatric Mental Health Foundation Established to raise awareness of psychiatric and mental health disorders affecting the elderly, eliminate the stigma of mental illness and treatment, promote healthy aging strategies.
- Gerontological Society of America Nation's oldest and largest interdisciplinary organization devoted to research, education, and practice in the field of aging.
- Medicare & You 2013 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Official government handbook for 2013 costs, preventive services, health plans, prescription drug plans, etc.
- National Institute on Aging [An institute within National Institutes of Health (NIH)] Includes health, research, grants and training, and news and events. Spanish.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse, NIDA (An NIH institute) Includes InfoFacts: science-based facts on drug abuse and addiction.
- Senior Living Map Search for assisted living, and other senior housing options. Lists facilities by state. Includes information such as financing, how to select, senior issues, etc.
- U.S. Census Bureau Quality data and statistical information available by state and county, education, race, income level, health insurance coverage, etc.
Check journal titles http://library.madonna.edu/journals/
- Ageing and society
- Aging & elder health week
- Annual review of gerontology & geriatrics
- Clinical gerontologist
- Current gerontology and geriatrics research
- Educational gerontology
- Elder law journal
- Elderlaw report
- Generations: the journal of the Western Gerontological Society
- Gerontology & geriatrics education
- Gerontology (Basel)
- Gerontology Special Interest Section quarterly
- Journal of cross-cultural gerontology
- Journal of gerontological nursing
- Nursing home & elder business week
- Perspectives - Gerontological Nursing Association
- Research on aging
- Reviews in clinical gerontology
Select Reference and Circulating Titles
- The Cambridge handbook of age and ageing. Johnson, Malcolm Lewis.. REF HQ1061 .C315 2005
- The encyclopedia of aging: a comprehensive resource in gerontology and geriatrics. Maddox, George L.. REF HQ1061 .E53 2001
- Encyclopedia of gerontology. Birren, James E.. REF RC952.5 .E58 2007
- Gerontological practice for the twenty-first century: a social work perspective. Richardson, Virginia E.; Barusch, Amanda Smith.. HV1451 .R53 2006
- The gerontological prism: developing interdisciplinary bridges. Clair, Jeffrey M., 1958-; Allman, Richard M., 1955-. HQ1061 .G416 2000
- Gerontological social work: knowledge, service settings, and special populations. Schneider, Robert L. 1941-; Kropf, Nancy P.; Kisor, Anne J.. HV1461 .G465 2000
- Gerotechnology: research and practice in technology and aging: a textbook and reference for multiple disciplines. Burdick, David C.; Kwon, Sunkyo.. RA564.8 .G4725 2004
- Gerotranscendence: a developmental theory of positive aging. Tornstam, Lars, 1943-. HQ1061 .T667 2005
- The graying of America: an encyclopedia of aging, health, mind, and behavior. Kausler, Donald H.; Kausler, Barry C., 1961-. REF HQ1064.U5 K39 2001
- Handbook of the humanities and aging. Cole, Thomas R., 1949-; Kastenbaum, Robert.; Ray, Ruth E., 1954-. REF HQ1061 .H3356 2000
- The international handbook on aging: current research and developments. Palmore, Erdman Ballagh. REF HQ1061 .I535 2009
- Multicultural measurement in older populations. Skinner, John H., Ed. D.. HQ1061 .M816 2002
- Multidisciplinary perspectives on aging. Tepper, Lynn M.; Cassidy, Thomas M.. RA564.8 .M84 2004
- Narrative gerontology: theory, research, and practice. Kenyon, Gary M.; Clark, Phillip G.; De Vries, B.. RC451.4.A5 N345 2001
- New dynamics in old age: individual, environmental, and societal perspectives. Wahl, Hans-Werner, 1954-; Tesch-Ro?mer, Clemens.; Hoff, Andreas. HQ1061 .N665 2007.
- Opportunities in gerontology and aging services careers. Williams, Ellen, 1951-. Career Collection HQ1064.U5 W59218 2003
- Personal control in social and life course contexts. Zarit, Steven H.; Pearlin, Leonard I. 1924-; Schaie, K. Warner 1928-. HQ1061 .P345 2003
- Physical environments and aging: critical contributions of M. Powell Lawton to theory and practice. Scheidt, Rick J., 1944-; Windley, Paul G., 1941-. HD7287.92.U54 P49 2003
- Positive aging: a guide for mental health professionals and consumers. Hill, Robert D.. HQ1061 .H53 2005
- Qualitative gerontology: a contemporary
Graham D.; Schoenberg,
Nancy E.. RA564.8 .Q355 2002
The following Citation Guides are recommended:
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703