Social Work Pathfinder
Offering resources, such as databases, websites, catalog items, etc., that are relevant to social work.
Developed by Carol Vandenberg.
The following Databases are recommended:
- Gale Databases
- ERIC (EBSCOhost) (ProQuest) (eric.ed.gov)
- Issues and Controversies
Select online and in Library
A full list of electronically available journals in the social sciences area can be browsed by catagory on our Journals page (Social Sciences category, Social Welfare & Social Work subcategory).
- Advances in social work
- British journal of social work
- Canadian social work review
- Child & adolescent social work journal
- Child & family social work
- Children & schools
- Clinical social work journal
- Computers in human services (print only)
- Families in society: the journal of contemporary human services
- Health & social work
- Journal of Baccalaureate social work
- Journal of ethnic & cultural diversity in social work
- Journal of indigenous voices in social work
- Journal of multicultural social work
- Journal of social work education
- Journal of social work practice
- Journal of social work research and evaluation
- Journal of social work values and ethics
- Journal of the Society for Social Work and Research
- New England journal of human services (print only)
- Perspectives in psychiatric care
- Research on social work practice
- School social work journal
- Smith College studies in social work
- Social justice review (print only)
- Social work
- Social work & society
- Social work abstracts
- Social work and Christianity social work research (print only)
- Social work in education
- The social service review/
The following Books are recommended:
- Case studies on sexual orientation and gender expression in social work practice / by Messinger, Lori.; Morrow, Deana F.. New York : Columbia University Press, c2006 . HV1449 .C36 2006
- Children's rights : policy and practice / by Pardeck, John T.. The Haworth Press social work practice with children and families . New York : Haworth Social Work Practice Press, c2006 .Edition: 2nd ed . HQ789 .P295 2006
- Empowering people with severe mental illness : a practical guide / by Linhorst, Donald M., 1956-. New York, N.Y. : Oxford University Press, 2006 . HV3006.A4 L56 2006 (eBook)
- Encyclopedia of social work / by Mizrahi, Terry.; Davis, Larry E.. Publisher: Washington, DC : NASW Press ; Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2008 .Edition: 20th ed . HV12 .E53 2008 (REFERENCE; also available online)
- Ethical standards in social work : a review of the NASW code of ethics / by Reamer, Frederic G., 1953-. Washington, DC : NASW Press, c2006 .Edition: 2nd ed . HV40.8.U6 R43 2006
- Handbook of social work in child and adolescent sexual abuse / by Hilarski, Carolyn.; Wodarski, John S.; Feit, Marvin D.. Binghamton, NY : Haworth Press, c2008 . HV6570 .H36 2008
- Juvenile offenders and mental illness : I know why the caged bird cries / by Rapp-Paglicci, Lisa A.. Binghamton, NY : Haworth Social Work Practice Press, c2005 . HV9069 .J843 2005
- Ordinary families, special children : a systems approach to childhood disability / by Seligman, Milton, 1937-; Darling, Rosalyn Benjamin. New York : Guilford Press, c2007 .Edition: 3rd ed . HV888.5 .S45 2007 (eBook)
- The aging networks : a guide to programs and services / by Niles-Yokum, Kelly.; Wagner, Donna L.; Gelfand, Donald E.Aging network.. New York : Springer, c2011 .Edition: 7th ed . HV1461 .G44 2011
- When their world falls apart : helping families and children manage the effects of disasters / by Rosenfeld, Lawrence B.. National Association of Social Workers.. Washington, DC : NASW Press, c2005 . HV553 .W48 2005 (accompanying CD-ROM at Circ Desk)
- Aging families and caregiving [electronic resource] / by Qualls, Sarah Honn.; Zarit, Steven H.. ebrary, Inc.. Wiley series in clinical geropsychology . Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, c2009
- Doing social work research [electronic resource] / by Smith, Roger S. 1953-. ebrary, Inc.. Maidenhead, England ; New York : Open University Press, 2009.
- Encyclopedia of social work by Mizrahi, Terry.; Davis, Larry E.. Washington, DC : NASW Press ; Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2008 .Edition: 20th ed.
License Test Prep (Library Circulation Reserves - Please inquire at the Circulation Desk for SW 4950)
The following Websites are recommended:
- NASW: National Association of Social Workers NASW
- NASW – Michigan Chapter: National Association of Social Workers
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Federal government site gives details on different occupations. Information includes nature of work, income range, projected need, related fields, professional organizations, etc. Link to Social Workers.
- Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), Social Work Includes Michiganlicensing requirements, licensing application, CE requirements, etc.
- Michigan 2-1-1 This is the United Way directory for Michigan; United Way 2-1-1 is a multi-lingual, comprehensive information and referral service available 24/7/365. Dial 2-1-1 for assistance.
Research cites, free
- PubMed Citations for biomedical literature. May include some full-text.
- U.S. Census Bureau Quality data and statistical information that can be broken down by state and county, education, race, income level, health insurance coverage, etc.
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs
- Michigan Department of Military and Veteran Affairs
- The National Resource Directory Connecting wounded warriors, service members, veterans & their families with those who support them.
The following Citation Guides are recommended:
- Madonna University Writing Center
- OWL Purdue Online Writing Lab
- YouTube APA Format Citations-Sixth (6th) Edition
Circulation Desk: 734-432-5703